Monday, June 07, 2010

Christina Aguilera: Not Myself Tonight (Music Video)



Alright, let's talk a little bit about Christina. Firstly, her 4th full length studio album, Bionic, is being released in stores tomorrow, but I think most of her fans have already heard it by now. It's a bit of a far cry from the brilliance of her last album, 2006's Back To Basics, but it does have an intoxicating energy to it that is refreshing and will make for good blastings during long summer drives. Where Back To Basics threw us into the sounds of the past with Bossanova beats and jazz chords coming out the whazoo, Bionic takes us into a raunchy futuristic dance club, where synthesizers and harsh dance beats rule supreme, and of course Christina's infamously powerful pipes top it all off. Of course she still brings it on home with the soaring ballads that have become a benchmark in her career, but some of the lyrics on this album are just plain lazy (fun, but lazy).

Now, speaking of lazy, let's discuss the video above for the lead single "Not Myself Tonight". As much as I love the song (and as much as I think she looks incredibly fierce), the video really is just a mixture of scene's stolen from the music video's of other female artists, particularly Madonna. Now, I realize that it's hard for most female artists not to mimic the likes of Madonna from time to time, because she really has seen and done it all at one point or another, but to outright copy images from videos like "Express Yourself", "Human Nature", and "Like A Prayer" is completely ludicrous. She even manages to steal visuals from Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance", and Geri Halliwell's "It's Raining Men" video's. What is that about?

If it was her intention to copy these works as a sort of homage to these women and I'm just missing the irony, then I will be the first to apologize for my opinion, but I doubt that it was. But, like I said, it works for what it is, and she does look fierce. I just expected a little bit more creativity from her.

Now the track listing for Bionic is,

1) Bionic
2) Not Myself Tonight
3) Woohoo (feat. Nicki Minaj)
4) Elastic Love
5) Desnudate
6) Love & Glamour (intro)
7) Glam
8) Prima Donna
9) Morning Dessert (intro)
10) Sex For Breakfast
11) Lift Me Up
12) My Heart (intro)
13) All I Need
14) I Am
15) You Lost Me
16) I Hate Boys
17) My Girls (feat. Peaches)
18) Vanity

Deluxe Edition Bonus Songs:
19) Monday Morning
20) Bobblehead
21) Birds Of Prey
22) Stronger Than Ever
23) I Am (Stripped)
24) Little Dreamer

Pick it up tomorrow, and enjoy it.

No comments: