Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Beautiful Awkward Pictures


After being let down when I heard that Toni Collette was not chosen for the Sweeney Todd movie to play Mrs. Lovett, I was gorgeously pleased when about a week later my brother handed me a downloaded copy of Toni's debut album entitled "Beautiful Awkward Pictures".

The eleven track album released under the name Toni Collette & The Finish (her band, including husband David Galafassi), was completely written by the Aussie actress, and is a beautiful serving of downplayed evocative folk music. Standout tracks include the optimistic opener This Moment Is Golden, country tinged Johnny's Lips, and the romantic piano ballad first single Beautiful Awkward Pictures.
It's not a musical, but I can watch Connie & Carla if I need that kind of fix. Beautiful album. Give it a listen. 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments: